Friday, February 02, 2007


I woke up to hear Tony Blair in my dreams this morning. The interview on this morning’s Today programme, I think, will be analysed over and over again both before his resignation and after. Here is a Prime Minister on the rocks and boy, how it sounds in his voice. Shaking, evasive answers from a man who is trying to cover his tracks and build his statue at the same time.

He kept bringing the interview back to his good works with children and, of course, to criticising the media (“you guys at the Today programme”). John Humphreys hit back with an echoing quote of TB's "I'm a pretty straight kind of guy" in response to the Ecclestone funding scandal.

I must admit I still carry a naive journalistic ambition to highlight people and places that I think don’t get the coverage they deserve, but Humphreys got it exactly right when he said the media is about personalities. Whether we talk about the health service, Iraq, cash for peerages, it’s about Tony Blair, not what he or his government are doing. It’s become solely about the man. Ten years ago I think Tony would have welcomed that with open arms, during this interview he tried to detract attention away from himself throwing hospitals, schools and the like out as he retreated.

The interview sounded like a flawed elegy to his career interrupted constantly by a show-stealing heckler.

Britain is focused singularly on one man and how to get rid of him in the quickest possible way. We may end up with someone worse but it’s hard to see past the man who has disappointed us so greatly.

I went to see Babel last night at the flicks. I had heard three things about it before I paid my money: it was anti-American; it was sexist and it was a load of lefty rubbish. I found it to be none of these things.

I thought all the Americans portrayed came off very well. Even American border guards, who are so often representative as fascist and sadistic came across simply as men doing their job, and even vaguely compassionate as far as their job allowed.

Everyone knows you don’t joke with airport or border guards no matter which country you’re entering. Santiago (Gael Garcia Bernal) who recklessly drives over the Mexican/American border with his aunt and her young wards in tow is utterly to blame for what happens next.

Richard, played by Brad Pitt, was compassionate, loving, incredibly patient considering his wife might die and it absolutely baffles me how anyone could see his portrayal as anti-American. When he lashes out, it’s out of fear and if the film had any message at all it wasn’t left, right, up or down. The film was a realistic representation of fear in a world that’s terrified of everything.

Fear informs all the actions in the film. Santiago is afraid of being caught, Chieko is afraid of being alone, Richard is afraid of losing his wife… Even the most unpleasant character in the film, the Englishman on the coach who demands they leave Richard and Susan is motivated only by fear that he might die too.

An American woman is shot in a Muslim country. Of course everyone assumes it’s a terrorist attack; it’s not a right or wrong assumption - it’s just true and possibly likely in any other case. This unique film has stuck in my head over the last few days and has deepened my respect for Iñárritu.

My last day at World Have Your Say is a sad one. I’ll miss the team: Ros peering at me over his glasses; Hasit and Rabiya giggling over lunch; Christiane doing her bit for Germany’s sense of humour; Paul and his distinctly Scottish rendering of ‘Weeerrrrld Have Your Say’; Richard’s bounce; David and his sudden smiles; Peter’s dry-as-the-Sahara wit; Rozita’s surprising naughty side and lovely, lovely, lovely Anna who took the time to answer all my stupid questions. I’ll also miss the regular callers and emails, with whom you build up quite a relationship and who, sometimes, restore a sliver of faith in human friendship: Steve in Virginia; Abelillah in Morocco and his essays and most of all Wisdom in Nigeria.

Today’s big news is the report on climate change and global warming by two and a half thousand boffins who are descending on Paris to discuss it. The BBC are having a debate on it at Have Your Say and my favourite comment runs thusly:

"What surprises me is people are prepared to worship a god they've never seen, based purely on faith with no evidence except that 'claimed' by religious organisations, and yet are so ready to question, and in many cases, contemptuously dismiss obvious climate change evidence and the destruction of Earth's ecological balance, because it impinges on their 'lifestyle' choices, or profits." Alex Stone

I’m at Five Live, Up All Night next week working nights and working my second job in the daytime. Who needs sleep?

No comments: