Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Typso

I've been unable to write the blog for the last few days and address the comments left, so this entry will be a bit of a mecha-beast. First things first...

These are my personal views and not those of the BBC.

I was surprised/interested by the generally hostile tone of the comments left to my last post. I had tried to reflect my thoughts in a tone that would as accurately as possible express my willingness to learn. I hope what comes across in this blog is my learning process as I stumble over various opinions and world views.

So, from Lou Minatti's comment:

There you go again with your label gun. It's easy to label people. It doesn't require you to think.

I think I should have put quotation marks around 'right-wingers' as it was an echo of Debbie Schlussel's blog entry 'Hate & Intolerance Tries to Silence the Right of Far Left'.

This I think implies that the far left try and silence anyone 'right' of their views. I think I'm justified in calling those commenting on this entry right-wing within this definition. Right-wing is also a common shorthand (albeit sloppy) understandable to everyone in a very broad context. And this is what this blog is about - my attempt at clarity (note attempt!)

So much for your much-vaunted C.V.

Ah yes, my typo. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. On looking back I would have corrected this, but as it forms a pillar of this comment I think it might be considered censorship to do so. Personally, I don't mind typos when they occur in blogs. Blogs are often generated at great speed and are express in an informal register, much like an email to a friend. I've never made any claims for this blog to be a C.V. and my discerning eye is much more acute when working within working hours and on important projects.

Being a self-style 'paedant' is more about clarity and understanding than being 'correct' and rigid. It's like neo-pedantry, reclaiming that term to mean something slightly different. Having said that, I appreciate all corrections.

To summarize your skills: Bragging about your C.V., being able to use Google, and labeling people.

Ah, I think there's a language misunderstanding, here, assuming the comment author is American, which by the use of 'bragging' (not 'boasting') I believe them to be. I said my C.V. was 'pretty good' - classic British understatement. It's not outstanding or even distinctive by any means. As for 'well-qualified', this is true in terms of actual qualifications and grades and experience, also true. I don't think I've ever spoken about my actual 'talents', which would be boasting. I'll leave it to others to decide whether I have any at all...

Oh, and isn't it 'labelling'? Probably a typo.

To finish, I think I was most surprised at the hostile tone of that particular comment. To my intents and purpose I considered myself to be pretty neutral one way or another. Are there any mistakes I'm making? I'm largely ignorant on American political culture, but learning all the time thanks to those who take an interest.

Thank you to the other people who left comments. I'm delighted a global conversation is happening right here, folks on paedantry.com.

Bit puzzled about the comment telling me to 'ask my grandparents' - have the Welsh ever been on top?

No comments: