Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Morrissey's NME litigation

Morrissey can be an awkward bloke, no question. And his reluctance to explain his lyrics combined with the brief love England, skinhead image he portrayed has meant the Morrissey is racist campaign has been boiling on for nigh fifteen years now.

I'm not a fan of the NME and so am biased towards pretty much any attack of eloquence upon them. But I think I'm justified in feeling slightly sick at their attempt to dredge up the spurious racism allegations against Morrissey. I enjoyed reading his reply to NME, especially his criticism of the '"cheers mate, got pissed last night, ha ha" interviews that clutter every single issue of the "new" NME'. Reminded me of Kele's attack on Oasis making 'stupidity hip'.

They claim to be inspired by the Beatles but, and this so saddens me, they have failed to grasp that the Beatles were about constant change and evolution. Oasis are repetitive Luddites.

It seems that whenever a band dares to say anything remotely intelligent (not preaching, make no mistake I don't think every band should be Bono. Shudder) they're either at best mocked, at worst accused of something like this.

Even the Guardian mocked Kele (Bloc Party attacks Oasis with thesaurus) for saying something that I believe really needed to be said about the dumbing down of British music.

I look forward to a typical NME attack on the 'past it' artist.

No comments: