Thursday, August 02, 2007


A bit of back research through Rob Field's excellent site Bold As Love brought me this article called 'Whites Only Party' by Kandia Crazy Horse. It's intrinsically racist, she says, to point out a black person at a rock gig and remark thereupon. It's hard enough to be a black person who likes the music he/she's not proscribed to like without everyone pointing it out. I can see her point and certainly, this is probably why I'm much more interested in the subject than my lead singer who tends to shy away from discussions of her colour, although she revels in discussing race in a general sense. However, I've always been taught to confront race head on and, even if I'm doing it clumsily, I'd rather point out my colour and the colour of those around me than adopt that annoying and patronising white habit of pretending 'not to notice'. Even worse, there are those who tut me from bringing up race as an issue, telling me that it's all equal now. Kandia and Rob both rightly believe there's still a lot to fight for and be angry about.

No comments: